Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras
translation and commentary by Yogini Kaliji
Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras describes the workings or the mind from a yogic perspective. It is a foundational philosophical text that describes the results of a yoga practice (Samadhi), the practice itself, and the obstacles to the practice.
This course includes distance learning via live online sessions with Kaliji for viewing the recorded sessions. These are followed by in-class discussions sessions at the center. Prior to the in-class discussions students will complete a homework assignment with questions that will lead them to reflect on the material online and determine it’s relevance to the practice of yoga therapy.
Upon completion of the live sessions we will have a live Skype session with Kaliji where students will be able to ask their questions. This session will just be with the TriYoga Boston students.
Upon completion of this course the yoga therapist will:
- Have a deep appreciation and understanding of the Yoga Sutras
- Have knowledge of consciousness and the workings of the mind from a yogic perspective
- Have knowledge of the different states of the mind, and will be able to recognize these states in their clients
- Have knowledge of afflictions their clients may be experiencing from a yogic perspective
- Have knowledge of how to apply the teachings of the sutras to help yoga therapy clients overcome the obstacles for achieving a calm and clear mind and how that will help them alleviate suffering
Learning Resources and Texts:
Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras. Students may use any translation of the sutras they wish. Kaliji also provides translations in the on-line sessions.
Course credits: Course counts towards 19 hours in IAYT Competency 1, and YA Philosophy as follows:
- Residential/Contact: 7
- Distance Learning/Non-Contact: 12
- Total Hours: 19
Cost: $240 (includes in-class discussions)
You can begin this course any time and view the recorded sessions.
In-class discussion dates:
Sunday April 2, 2017 10 am – 1 pm
Sunday May 7, 2017 10 am – 1 pm
Upon Registering you will receive links to the online sessions and homework questions.