Clinical Assessment Tools and Methodology
Sunday, December 11, 9 am – 1:00 pm
Who Should Attend:
This course is a requirement for those enrolled in the 300 or 800 hour Yoga Therapy Program
This workshop explains the set of assessment developed and used by TriYoga Boston in the Yoga Therapy clinic. The assessments include:
- TriYoga Boston Total Health Assessment – this is a subjective assessment filled out by the client before the first session. Instruction will be on how to interpret this and how it will inform recommended practices.
- First Visit Evaluation – this is an objective assessment filled out by the therapist on the first visit.
- Postural Assessment – this is a worksheet to be used when doing the postural assessment
- Stress Assessment
- Pain Assessment
- DASS Assessment
- Nutritional Assessment
- Sleep Assessment
- Yoga Therapist Self Evaluation – Svadhyaya – This assessment is designed to help therapists become more aware of their relationship with a client and detect any unhealthy patterns.
- First Visit Care Plan for Clients
- Practice Sheets for clients
- Progress Notes – SOAP Notes
What you will learn:
- Have working knowledge of the assessment tools used in yoga therapy
- Know when to use additional assessments
- Know how to evaluate assessments
- Introduction to program and forms.
- Review of intake form information that has demographics, medical and yoga history, how to review form to see what client sees as goals and amount of time client can devote to a daily practice.
- Presentation of the Total Health Assessment – how to review a holistic, individualized self-assessment with clients based on the kosas, how questions are on a Likert scale for initial assessment and for tracking progress with repeat assessment, how to review open ended questions for each section with yoga therapy clients, how to share strengths and issues with clients, how to meet clients where they are at in the moment.
- Discuss how First Visit Evaluation form is used by the yoga therapist to combine the information from the intake and self-assessment with this objective assessment for identification of issues for yoga therapy, client-centered goal setting, and documentation of the yoga therapy plan which becomes the basis for the daily practice
- Review how to use the Postural Assessment form (an objective assessment) as a worksheet in working with individuals
- Review how to use additional subjective assessments with clients as pertinent: Pain, Stress (DASS), Nutrition, Sleep (clients fill out assessments to identify issues in each of these areas that are used to develop yoga therapy plans and for tracking progress towards client-centered goals.)
- Review how to use the Yoga Therapist Self-Evaluation for self-awareness and relationship-awareness with the client, discuss how the tool is able to assess level of trust, working relationship, boundaries, and/or to identify issues of concern that need to be addressed such as consultation with a mentor and/or reasons for termination.
- Review how to document the First Visit Care Plan Sheet that lists the sequence of the daily yoga therapy practice (and other practices that can used for specific purposes or at various times throughout the day) for clients to take home.
- Review how to use the TriYoga Boston Yoga Therapy website that has practice sheets for yoga practices that can be downloaded, printed and shared with clients.
- Discuss how to use the progress notes that are in the S.O.A.P. format for documentation of each client visit with the understanding that this is a method of documentation shared across integrated healthcare disciplines and that S.O.A.P. format can be used when working in healthcare facilities.